Tuesday, September 27, 2005

I Love Johnny D

I loved where Johnny D said that it's too late for the Sox to get the "hometown discount" for his contract next year. I thought that summed up perfectly exactly what's wrong with Theo's negotiation strategy. You've got to make people feel good about things. Johnny D plays hurt, he puts up numbers, he scores, he drives in runs from the leadoff spot, he's a team leader, he's a positive thinker, he hustles his brains out.

Of course I also love where he's one of the only guys who seem to be going on record every day saying that it's ALL ABOUT another World Series championship. I hear Ortiz and Wakefield say it, and Manny says it occasionally (whenever he gets in hot water!) but I hear Johnny D saying it ALL THE TIME. At the beginning of the season I heard Wells and Clement say it. I want to hear Schilling say it, and Arroyo and Varitek. And the other dudes.

Come on boyz, SAY IT!! You said it all the time last year!! DO YOU WANT IT MORE THAN THE YANKEES?

2 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

I hate to say this, but I think you're being a tad naive re: Damon. Yes, he hustles, plays his ass off, plays hurt, etc, but it is all about the money with him. Why else is this near-illiterate the go-to guy for the press every single night after a game? He wants a slice of that Boras/A-Rod endorsement money, plain and simple. He's stuck his foot in his mouth more than once this year with selfish ignorant remarks about teammates, and I'm sure he's feeling the pressure to keep playing for that big payday he'll undoubtedly have this winter. I suspect it's Damon taking shots at Schilling in the press, partly because there's a history between them, and partly because Damon is just the right combination of ignorant and stupid. Really though, I just think he's a jerk. He's Kevin Millar with a better skill set and less upstairs, and I think the Sox would be better off without him in the long run, his incredible year notwithstanding.

12:05 AM  
Anonymous Brent said...

I'd have to agree with you Andy. I would be surprised if Damon puts up another year like he did this year. I think he will come down to earth a little bit. Don't get me wrong, he's still a good player, but I honestly don't think that he is worth the money that he will undoubtedly sign for in the off season. I think the sox would be wise to spend their money elsewhere. (Maybe on a CF that dosent throw like a girl, haha.)

3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home