Monday, September 05, 2005

The ChW

Ok, ok, maybe I'm starting to believe in the ChW. Sheesh. I didn't need to learn the hard way. If this McCarthy guy keeps it up, that really takes the pressure off of Buehrle, Garland et al. Only a couple guys have shut down the Sox like that this year... and the other one's you've heard of.

I watched every pitch today and Schilling seems a little better each time out. I think the baseball gods are timing this so he hits his stride during the last couple of weeks. Having said that, I don't like him against the Yankees this weekend. If they tattoo him, it'll set him back. I'll take my chances with Clement, Wells and Wakefield - they're all shaping up nicely. (My confidence has slipped in Arroyo however.)

How bout Foulke! That was the high point of the game for me. I thought he was ON. He can't be more than a game or two from closing again. Let's use Timlin for the Angels this week, then it's time for Foulke.

How bout Manny with the two throws! I swear he deked Blum into taking 3rd base in the 2nd inning, and would have had him if the throw were 6 inches closer to the bag. And it was even more beautiful when he took out Everett at 2nd, barehanding the carom and gunning him out in one motion. Where's the gold glove??

What was with that lineup? Seemed like Tito didn't care if we won since we've already won the season series against the ChW. I understand Johnny D is banged up so Kapler was in. But I'd rather have Olerud than Millar now, I don't care about the lefty-righty thing. Same for Billy Mill over Youk. Anyone notice Billy Mill is back over .300? That's all I asked of him, so I have to acknowledge it. And his hitting's been clutch.

Didn't get a chance to comment on Wells the other day. My new favorite player is officially in the zone now. Wonder what they said to him in the commish's office? I'd still love to see him dismantle the Angels or Yankees at least once each before the end of the month though, just for the confidence factor.

My previous post was premature - the Petrograd Bolsheviks slipped into the playoffs on the last pitch of the last game. It was a remarkable turn of events, with the Vickies winning big and the Nukes losing big this week. After 5 months of action, the final playoff team was decided by 1 stat category. In fact, the Nukes dropped down to 8th place - the 3G with a big win over the Nukes actually ended up being odd man out. Pretty thrilling actually.

And since the Vickies actually tend to their team (unlike the Nukes), I have revised the odds to make Vicky a slight favorite ahead of me. And that'll make the next round a little tougher for you Blue...

Sox up: Tek, Wells, Clement, Olerud, Billy Mill (need Saves from Foulke to make the list)
Sox down: Schilling, Arroyo, Johnny D

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A fantastic blog. Keep it up. Don't miss visiting this site about how to buy & sell english to spanish translation on interest free credit; pay whenever you want.

12:27 AM  
Anonymous Chopping Guy Birthday Hat said...

I think you're right about Schilling, he's maybe one or two starts from where he was last year.
Anyone who turned their back on Foulke earlier in the year should be ashamed of themselves. The guy's a total bulldog who will not accept mediocrity from himself. He looked great yesterday and I couldn't be happier.
I agree that Olerud needs to be the primary first baseman, though I have no problem with Millar in there 2-3 times a week AS LONG AS HE KEEPS HITTING. If he's not hitting he's not contributing (cuz he's certainly not throwing the leather around). Mueller is in no danger of losing his job to Youkilis, he just needs a day off like anybody else on occasion.
I gained tons and tons of respect for Wells this week. He spoke his mind (that suspension was ridiculous), took his punishment, and pitched a hell of a game on Sunday.

10:27 AM  
Blogger The Rivals said...

Hmmm... I'm not sure what I'd rather have - No comments at all or the spam comments... Hmmm...

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Chopping Guy Birthday Hat said...

It'd be a shame to lose them, but I see your point. Can you block them somehow?

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home