Saturday, July 09, 2005

Controversies

Well, every Red Sox season reaches this point when our boyz start making "dysfunctional family" headlines. You thought this season might be different for a million reasons, but it's same ol' same ol':

- Johnny D mouths off about the decision to bring Schilling back in the pen. You sort of agree with him, but wish he shut up.
- Wells mouths off about the Kenny Rogers thing, just trying to be provocative, but you wish he'd shut up. (So far the only thing I agree with Wells on is donuts.)
- Payton mouths off about playing time, and since they cut him I'll bet HE wishes he'd shut up. I wish he was still here because he's a great outfielder, decent hitter, and nice speed. The next best thing to Dave Roberts. Sort of a Sophie's Choice, I guess... but would you rather get 500 at-bats for the Brewers or get 250 at-bats for the defending champs and play on national TV every week and go deep into the playoffs? Duh-yee.

There are 3 thoughts bouncing between my ears (on the dysfunctional topic, that is):

1. The dysfunctional angle is always blown out of proportion by the Scumoftheearth, oops I mean the Boston Media. This year it's blown up even more so because we are the champions and the whole world is following the soap opera. Believe me, it doesn't impact the players that much, especially when you have steady guys in the clubhouse like Papi and Varitek.
2. Tito and Theo have fostered an environment where people can blow off steam by being big kids and by mouthing off. It's one of the reasons they won and it's one of the reasons we love em. So, I guess what I'm saying is Live by the sword, Die by the sword.
3. Knowing this team, this won't make too much of a difference in the long run. But at the moment I have to admit that all this looks like enough of a distraction to cost them a couple of games. Remember what I said about the rollercoaster being part of the fun...?

Having said that, let's not take our eye off of the fact that the bigger problem is bullpen depth. As we speak, I'm watching the Miller brothers and Halama stink up Camden Yards, when we should be pinning the Os with our foot jammed into their throats. The Yankees are having a much worse season but have won 8 of 10 and are only 3 1/2 back. I think the All-Star game is coming at a good time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home