Wednesday, May 04, 2005

The Dynasty

I did the same as you - thought I'd check the score while I was on the treadmill and watched the whole 1st inning on the Evil Network. Last year there would have been no doubt in one's mind that the Yankees would come back and win that game. This year, the body language of every single player - Brown, Jeter, A-Rod, Matsui, Posada, even Torre and Stottlemeyer - told you differently. Is it me or does Kevin Brown not seem to care?

Pitching, schmitching. With the best line-up of all time, shouldn't they have the feeling they can win every game? Unlike last year, this slow start is officially sending flares of disaster. My comment to Wendy was, "This doesn't look like the Dynasty."

Which got me to thinking - if this is REALLY the end, what will historians point to as the end of the Dynasty? The A-Rod ball-slapping game came to mind. So did Mueller's walk-off in the fight game. Or was it yesterday's game - a shellacking immediately after a line-up overhaul.

Then this morning, I serendipitously came across this gem: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=olney_buster&id=2051491

Hmmm... Do we stop calling it a dynasty just because they haven't won the Series for 4 years? Maybe. But if, for example, they win THIS year, Jeter, Rivera, Bernie and Torre will still have 5 out of 10. That's pretty dynastic.

My 2 cents? It ain't over til it's over. With that line-up they could fall 12 games back, get their act together in the clubhouse, and wrap it up with a smoking August and September. In the meantime, I'll savor this while I've got it.

BTW: 2 points for Halama.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home