Monday, February 14, 2005

Spreading the Love

A few of you have asked me if I love the Patriots. The answer is OH YEAH. Part of the DNA as well. (Not really the Celtics though... and not the Bruins, either, as if it matters). And yes, I definitely believe the Super Bowl win generates more good karma for the Sox. It did before.

The Pats are very special to me – they were the first team of mine that won a championship in my lifetime. They got the monkey off my back. They made me see that it was possible. I had to wait 40 years before I could taste the champagne – that’s four-oh, kids! - but it was worth it.

Having said that, I should explain that football is 3rd on my depth chart. The two sports that take me through the year are really MLB and college basketball, thanks to my Syracuse upbringing (and alumni status - Masters Class of '83 baby!). So starting back in 1970, baseball takes me from April to October... then hands off to college hoops... and then hoops takes me from October to April. Whenever one let me down, the other is there to pick me up. Football is a nice diversion after the World Series and before college hoops gets serious in February.

Here’s how it works:

1a. Sawx
1b. Orange Hoop
2a. Orange Football
2b. Pats

This little lifecycle was more like the 9th ring of Hades - until recently. And when it rains it pours. Since the Pats broke though, I’ve been on a snowballing win streak that includes Pats ’01, Syracuse hoops ’03, Pats ’03, Red Sox ’04, Pats ’04. And counting! The 21st century has been bery bery good to me. I’m just gonna ride the wave all the way into shore.

Are the Sox and Orange going to become dynasties now as well? The Cuse certainly has the horses to win it all again next month. And the Sox – Why do I already have a feeling it’s gonna come down to Schilling-Johnson, Game 7?

Hey Blue, tell us who else you root for!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home