Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Let the Season (and Trash-Talk) Begin

Today is the start of the Yankee spring training. It's what I've been looking forward to since game 7 of the ALCS. Woohoo!

Also, came across an interesting
article in which Trot Nixon has some comments about A-Rod:

Two days before the official opening of Boston’s training camp, the Red Sox outfielder praised Rodriguez’s playing ability but said the third baseman wasn’t the “Yankee type.”

“I don’t look at him as that. He might be in a lot of people’s eyes,” Nixon said. “He’s done some great things on the field. He’s one of the baseball players in the game and probably will be when it’s all said and done. But when people ask me about the Yankees, I tell them about (Derek) Jeter and Bernie Williams and (Jorge) Posada. I don’t tell them about Rodriguez. ... He can’t stand up to Jeter in my book or Bernie Williams or Posada.”


I do agree with Trot that A-Rod isn't a true Yankee. However, the three people that he compared A-Rod to have been in the Yankee organization a total of over 30 years! Of course he's not a true Yankee yet. It's only been one year! In fact, he will probably never even come close to reaching monument park. Sure, Saint Schilling, who went out of his way to get into the hearts of Sox fans via the Sons of Sam Horn website and Boston talk radio was enshrined in the Boston hearts in only a year. But, he's the exception. Usually it takes players years and years to become an ingrained member of a team - any team.


I ask you this: Shouldn't a Dirt Dog be a gamer? Shouldn't he have left his blood, sweat, and tears on the field? Shouldn't he be an integral part of the soul of the team? Are Keith Foulke, Mark Bellhorn, and Bronson Arroyo really Dirt Dogs or are they honorary members based on the World Series win? It's just my opinion and I don't bleed Red Sox red, but I personally don't think those guys are in the same league as Manny, Damon, Big Papi, Millar, and Nixon. Just like I don't think A-Rod is in the same league as Bernie, Jeter, or Posada. What do you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home